Friday, February 23, 2007

Home Sweet Home on the Trail

Hiking is a love of mine. Mostly I just like to walk but once in a while a hike sounds like a good idea. That means I have a tent. I would guess that sleeping in a tent does not appeal to the majority of senior citizens so that probably means I am an exception. My last "big" hike was in August of 2005 and the locale was the gold rush trail of '98. That's 1898. When I taught in Haines, Alaska, back in the late 50's I thought how interesting it would be to travel the path that the miners who were headed to Dawson City in the Yukon Territory traversed. At that time there was no formal trail and I never heard of people hiking over the Chilkoot Pass. There were three of us who hiked together and we mingled with people of all ages--grandparents and grandchildren, families of parents and children, middle-aged fathers and sons, groups of ladies, young and not so young from all walks of life. So the first "home" I'm including in my list of "where I ams" is my tent. Quite cozy, don't you think?

2 comments:

Rebecca Clack said...

Thanks for the call to let me know you updated your blog! I love the entry and especially like the reference to the 1800's! If you want some help inserting pictures, let me know. I think the tent is a great place to start for photos!

Unknown said...

Mrs. Hawley
How are you? Things here are fine but sort of cold as the tempature is 15 at 6:30 A.M. We are about to harvest your farm which is in soybeans this year.
I have lost your snail mail address, would you please email it to me so we can give you your payment. This is completely up to you but if you would care to donate a small portion of the cash rent payment to our Foods Resource Bank project we would be most appreciative. I can get you more details if you wish. I will tell you it's Zambia, it's a project to help people grow sweet potatoes instead of corn. Sweet potatoes are more indiginous to the area and the Beta Caratine in them helps with the H.I.V virus.
Thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing from you.


Respectfully, Mike Kane